Sunday, August 5, 2012

Bucky at the MOMA (San Francisco, CA)

 The Buckminster Fuller exhibit at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art astounded me.  It introduced me to a man whom I had previously known barely by his iconic name.  In fact it's probably the unusual name that stuck with me more than what I knew about the man.  The exhibit left a lasting impression on me that inspired me to go back to Rich's bookshelf and try again to read, Critical Path, by Fuller published in 1981 by St. Martin's Press.  It's a treatise or overview of the evolutionary course of mankind since the beginning of time--not light reading.

A few months ago, after a brief attempt to read this hefty treatise, I gave up.   His lengthy and bizarre sentence structure tested my concentration, intellect, and reading comprehension to the max.  I After about just a few pages, I couldn't take it anymore.

Inspired by what I learned further about the man at the SM MOMA exhibit, I have succeeded in reading about two-thirds of the book now.  Reading Fuller is like reading a cross between George Eliot and L Ron Hubbard if you can imagine that.   I could comment further on the bizarre length of his sentence and the novel word usage, but I'd rather spend time remarking on the fantastic and profound ideas he presents.

===





No comments:

Post a Comment