Monday, October 22, 2012

Why I Camp



I pulled into the campground late last Friday night.  It was after dark and I was exhausted after the 3rd 30 mile trek of the day.  I 'm not crazy about arriving after dark because setting up the tent takes twice as long.

My favorite campsite by the creek was taken so I went to another one that I like almost as well--far away from the creek beside a grove of trees.   

It took maybe half an hour to get the tent set up using a couple of flashlights.  I worked as quickly as I could thinking mostly of getting it done with and crawling into bed afterward.  It was only when the tent was set up and I looked around in the darkness of the  campground that I realized what a lovely night it was, warm and quiet with the stars shining overhead.  I was exhausted and had planned to go to bed.  Instead, I dragged the lawn chair out and completely reclined it so I could lay on my back and gaze at the stars overhead.  It felt like heaven. Two planes flew over.   I continued to stare up into the darkness until I drifted off to sleep, thinking that everything was perfect.  

---

In the stillness of the stars, I find myself.
In the stillness of the tent, I find myself.
In the warmth of my sleeping bag in the cold night air, I find myself.
In the silence of the trees, i find myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment