Friday, August 21, 2009

Cool Cars--the Goodguys in California


Last Wednesday, I was driving around Mountain View on my way to the library when a couple of old jalopies passed me by. Then another, and another. After half a dozen made a left turn at this one street, I switched lanes and decided to follow them. I found myself turning onto a small side street with half dozen auto repair shops situated on it and, yikes, more shiny beautiful pre-60's hot-rods.

Turns out, it was a meeting of the Goodguys Rod and Custom Association, a national hot-rod association. A few dozen members had decided to attend an event at a place called Mozart's, a custom hot rod museum in Mountain View recently built by John Mozart and his wife, Heather. Then they were headed to Pleasanton, California for the BIG EVENT, the West Coast Nationals which was to involve thousands of cars.

I thoroughly enjoyed walking the parking lot of Mozart's. It was like attending an antique car show for free. I realized I was a bit of an interloper but no one seemed to notice me, and the friendliness of a few of the guys who asked how I was doing and started chatting with me made me feel welcome. I nonchalantly signed the guestbook and toured the local shop along with the other members of the hot rod association. I took pictures of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment