Friday, August 21, 2009

Goggling Google


I want the folks at home to know why this is called Silicon Valley. Don't you think it's a rather funny name? I picture tons of irreducible silicon chips littering the lovely Diablo Hills. Actually, there are thousands of internet and high tech companies residing in the area from San Francisco to San Jose. For example, Yahoo, Google, Craigslist, Facebook, and McAfee have headquarters in the Silicon Valley.

All of Mountain View has free wireless internet because Google headquarters resides there and provides it to the city. I found out recently that the headquarters is actually spread over several acres and several buildings and so is referred to as a "campus." Last Wednesday, I did not just drive by the campus as I have in the past, but because of some unexpected free time, I stopped the car and took some pictures and wandered into the lobby.

The campus is a serene, attractive place. The only people I saw were people with name tags exiting these humongous buses that appears to be a limousine service Google provides to its employees. There were dozens of nifty identical bicycles parked around the grounds that also made it appear that Google provides bicycles to get around campus. These observations and the marvelous sculptures that I saw makes me think it must be a very special place to work. Here's the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment